Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cool Breezes, Tasty Waves and Some Invigorating Hiking

The Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve, at 12600 North Torrey Pines Road, is one of the most interesting State Parks in the area. Torrey Pines is fairly easy to get to from almost any direction and not only does it have a really nice beach, but it has a myriad of hiking trails. You can either try and find parking on the streets around the beach and walk up the road to park headquarters at the top of the cliff, pay to park in the lot at the base, or do what those of us who are truly cheap and lazy (me) and park at the Torrey Pines Golf Course off of North Torrey Pines Rd. Here you can park in a nice parking lot, with no fussy parallel parking or fees of any kind. You're also adding a mile and half walk on an sneaky back road into the reserve, which if you're looking for exercise is always nice.
There are several different trails you can choose from, all of which run along the cliffs and offer up gorgeous views of the orange, mottled Torrey Pines cliffs. Most of the trails will lead you down to the beach on a set of scary, steep, sandy stairs, at which point you can either choose to explore the beach and head back the way you came, or you can do the loop by walking up the main road to the reserve.
The best part is, after you've spent all afternoon hiking getting disgusting and sweaty, you can always spend the rest of the day relaxing on the beach and enjoying the delightfully ice cold water.
On a recent hike, I discovered a great way to get lunch after all my hard work. I had heard about the God Save the Cuisine food truck from Ed Bedford's column, Tin Fork in The Reader, and I really wanted to try it out. The morning of this particular I hike I heard via their Twitter account, @GSTCuisine, that they would be in the business park right across from the golf course on Torreyana Road that afternoon. It was fate. So instead of stopping at the car my mom, brother and I walked up a couple of blocks, turned into the business park and had a delightful lunch. There were four trucks parked in front of a grassy hill, littered with shade producing trees where everyone was enjoying their lunch breaks.
I was not disappointed. My mom and I ordered the Fish and Chips Taco, which far surpassed most of the fish and chips I had eaten while in London. Delicious.
My brother chose to go with the Italian option at MangiaMangia Mobile (@MangiaTruck for their schedule). He ordered the Lobster Ravioli, which he claimed was one of the best lobster raviolis he's ever had. And he's tried a lot, with quite a discerning palate for a thirteen year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment