Monday, September 10, 2012

Goin' 'Round the Velodrome

The San Diego Velodrome has been this crazy enigma for me for some time now. I've heard tales of where it is, though I had never previously caught a glimpse of it. So with a friend coming to visit, I thought I'd hunt this mysterious beast down. The beauty of it is that it is completely free. Free parking, free to sit on the outdoor bleachers and watch and you're allowed to bring in your own food and drink. We showed up at 6:30 p.m., when I heard the signing up and practicing before the actual races began. As time went on, more people showed up but the bleachers still remained fairly sparse. The track is pretty terrifying, sloping down at a crazy angle. The races were fast and fun to watch, and during practice time the ringleader rode a motorcycle, clipping the cyclists' heels in a motivational, "go faster" type exercise. The track is located at 2221 Morley Field Dr. It's a small driveway, surrounded by San Diego County vehicles and a tiny sign that says "Velodrome" with an arrow. Just keep driving straight until you see a park. Leave your car there and head for the giant flood lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment